Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Smoked Baked Beans

 A couple of weekends ago I decided to smoke some baked beans.  I have to say that they turned out wonderfully.  I started out with Nan's Baked Beans and then placed the beans in the smoker with mesquite pellets.  I smoked the beans until thebacon on top turned crispy and the top of the beans formed a layer on top similar to what you get when baking them in the oven.  The beans were held at 250F for about three and a half hours and rested in a warm oven for about 30 minutes before serving.
Beginning the Smoke.
 For the last hour I added beer to the two liquid reservoirs shown in the image below.
After three and a half hours.

Overall the beans were a resounding success.  I would use a dish for the beans that presents a greater surface area to the smoke, think longer wider and shallower.  I would also forgo the beer.  The beer was great for the meatloaf shown in the pictures above but I could have waited until I removed the beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment